This dish is the perfect way to celebrate the arrival of Spring with its fresh and flavorful ingredients. The combination of creamy risotto, savory salami, sweet peas, fresh fennel, and earthy mushrooms is sure to satisfy your taste buds. To complete the experience, we recommend pairing this dish with our 2021 Peters Vineyard Pinot Noir, which offers a perfect balance of acidity and lush red fruits to complement the rich flavors of the risotto. Enjoy this delicious and easy-to-follow recipe from Chef Jim May.
Ingredients and Directions
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T. butter
- 1 large leek, white parts, halved lengthwise and slice ½ inch thick
- 2 c. fennel bulb, halved and sliced ½ inch thick
- 1 ½ c. medium grain Arborio rice
- 8 oz. fresh white mushrooms, destemmed and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 6 oz. salami chub, halved lengthwise and sliced ½ inch thick
- ½ c. white wine
- 5 c. chicken stock
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 t. dried thyme
- 10 oz. frozen petite peas
- 2 t. salt
- ¼ c. Pecorino Romana cheese
- ½ c. grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ c. toasted pine nuts
- 3 T. parsley, chopped
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil (optional)
Heat 5 cups of stock in a saucepan, bring to a simmer.
Clean the cut leeks by soaking them in a bowl of water and removing any dirt, then drain.
In another saucepan, heat 2T of olive oil and 2t of butter over medium heat. Add leeks and fennel and sauté until soft, about 8-10 minutes.
Add rice, mushrooms, and salami and stir to coat for 2 minutes.
Add white wine, stirring until well reduced.
Start to ladle in the simmering stock ½ cup at a time. Stirring until well absorbed then add another ½ cup, stirring often.
After 15 minutes, add lemon zest and thyme. Continue adding stock until creamy but firm.
Fold in frozen peas and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in Pecorino cheese and half of the Parmesan. Stir in half of the parsley.
When ready to serve, top the risotto with the pine nuts, remaining parsley and Parmesan cheese. Finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, if desired. Total cooking time 20-25 minutes.